Small Business Loans

Monday, July 5, 2010

How to become a midwife or doula?

I already have a bachelors degree in elementary education. I am interested in a job that would be able to place me in the delivery room at a hospital. I love the idea of being there when a child would come into this world. Since I already have a degree (even though its not a nursing or science degree), what would be the process to become a midwife, doula, or any profession that would be in the delivery room?



Grades are not a problem, Im not afraid of a challenge. I graduated with a 3.96 GPA....so just tell me what my options in the USA for a profession like this. (To be specific, I live in PA)
A doula is a labor support person. You can obtain certification through Doulas of North America (DONA) - see their website for details. There is no degree or anything you need to earn, just read their curriculum, take a two day seminar, then attend a certain number of births under the supervision of another doula. Your job is simply to support the laboring woman and help her articulate her needs to the medical staff, but you are not there to offer your input on what she should do, what choices she should make, or offer medical advice.



You could go to nursing school and become a labor

No comments:

Post a Comment